Fall Austin Events | Fall Fun in Texas | National Recovery MonthPat Fontana
September marks the beginning of fall, meaning cooler weather and fun events are here! September is also National Recovery Month, a time to celebrate your success in recovery. There are many ways to enjoy fall Austin events, while staying true to your sobriety. While some events and activities may have had to reschedule or cancel, and some have moved to a virtual platform, Austin is still a great place for fall fun in Texas.
National Recovery Month has been celebrating successes for 31 years. It’s a time to mark the gains you have made as you have worked to overcome your addictions. The month is designated for promoting and supporting new evidence-based treatment and recovery practices, the emergence of a strong and proud recovery community, and the dedication of service providers and community members across the nation who make recovery in all its forms possible. This year’s theme is “Join the Voices for Recovery: Celebrating Connections.”
Get Outdoors for Fall Fun
As you focus on the positives of your recovery, take the time to enjoy all that Austin has to offer this fall. There’s nothing like fresh, cool air in the great outdoors in the fall, especially when you can pick pumpkins, explore a corn maze, hike, and camp. Check out these great ideas for fall fun in Texas this year.
- Get into the fall season by picking pumpkins and exploring a corn maze at Austin-area farms. Explore a five-acre corn maze at Barton Hill Farms. Pick your own pumpkins and gourds from the pumpkin patch at Sweet Berry Farm. Go for a hayride and meet the animals at the petting zoo at Sweet Eats Fruit Farm.
- Drive in movies are back! Catch a movie under the stars at Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In, Austin’s only drive-in movie theater.
- Go for a horseback ride. You can take in all the fall foliage and quiet charm of the Texas Hill Country at Maverick Horseback Riding or Texas Trail Rides.
- Go camping. There are a lot of campgrounds and parks in the greater Austin area that offer the full experience of fall fun in Texas. Enjoy the crackle of a campfire and the smell of roasting marshmallows in your overnight adventure.
- Take in a hiking trail. From scenic city views to nature trails around the lake, you can get some exercise and fresh air at one of the many amazing areas you can explore on foot. Enjoy scenic city views along the Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail that winds along the shores of Lady Bird Lake, or follow the nature trails at Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge near Marble Falls or Enchanted Rock State Natural Area.
Fall Austin Events
While some of these events may be subject to change, they are still planned for the upcoming fall months. From film festivals to events designed just for the “pun” of it, you’re sure to find something to fill your time in an entertaining way!
- Henry Pun-Off World Championships in Brush Square Park. This event has been held for over 40 years as “Austin’s puniest event by far.” Watch 32 punsters go head-to-head in this humorous wordplay competition, in the backyard of Austin author William Sydney Porter’s (also known as O. Henry) historic home.
- Austin Film Festival. A virtual event this year, the film festival is recognized as one of the top film festivals in the country, shining the spotlight on top-billed films as well as indie productions.
- Austin Symphony Orchestra Presents: Halloween Children’s Concert. A virtual concert will introduce you and your children to the wonders of live orchestral music and is also a great opportunity to wear costumes and have tons of fun. The concert hall will be decorated top to bottom to enhance everyone’s concert experience.
- Virtual Texas Book Festival. One of the premier literary events in the country, the book festival hosts about 250 authors each year. The 2020 festival will be held online.
- Austin Celtic Festival. Held at Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms, the annual festival is the largest gathering of Celts in Central Texas. The event is home to four stages of Irish, Scottish, and Breton music, dance, sports, storytelling, workshops, and more.
- Blue Genie Art Bazaar. Get ready for the upcoming holidays with this fun and unique holiday art show. The bazaar features handmake artwork and gifts from more than 200 local and regional artists. A portion of the bazaar proceeds go to the Make-A-Wish® Foundation.
SOBER AUSTIN PROVIDES RESOURCES FOR YOU TO ENJOY IN RECOVERY
Celebrate your recovery with these fun fall Austin events. You can enjoy the fresh air of fall, get some exercise, and explore the Austin area while you stay safe and healthy. At Sober Austin, we’re dedicated to providing you the resources you need for a fulfilling life while you move forward with your addiction recovery. Whether you need resources for treatment, sober living, or having fun at sober celebrations, we are here for you. Please feel free to contact us directly by calling 866-319-8865 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.